.A New Hope. .A New Hope.

I gave It A

zero because ur lame and its 2006 hgaha get REKT son
(for more quality in-jokes pls visit the chips compo discord ft ur boi johnfn and midimachines)

johnfn responds:

i said VOTE FAIR

i mean its literally in caps

what more do you want

My Firefly My Firefly

rly good, but why couldn't the mix be as big and punchy as the last section the whole way through?! D:

johnfn responds:

actually an intentional choice! i tried it, but it was too tiring to listen to a lot, so i eased up to decrease fatigue.

Far Away (Never Enough) Far Away (Never Enough)

i like this a lot and i'm sad to see your tenure in the NGADM come to a close! this track has more going on than its simple future bass/pop facade lets on. i think the mix feels a little too dense overall, the pads and vocals are heavy on the low-mids and this is especially noticeable just before the last drop @ ~3:05 when the snares come in and the vocal harmonies compound (i loooove this section regardless btw).

otherwise, this is a really well executed future pop track with a fantastic hook and solid production. please keep sharing!

steelside responds:

I'm still in the competition man!

Monstrous Monstrous

makes me want to make breakcore again \m/

Demon-Wolf responds:

do it omg

Refract Refract

oh man, this is really good and i'm glad you could make it back!

once again demonstrating both rhythmic and melodic flair but this time not overdoing it imo (i think not having lyrics to sing along to helps? pop music philosophy is weird man!)

one minor sound design thing i have to mention is the snare that accompanies the crunchy secondary kick (e.g. 0:10, 0:54) - it's just too airy, light and WET with reverb so i don't think it complements the kick at all. actually i think there are a lot of reverbs in this that need gating underneath the kick/chord combo, there's this strong and stilted energy coming out through the chorus and the reverb bleed kinda smooths it out too much - you wanna save that reverb for parts that *need* their spaces filled (e.g. like you did at 1:54)

the power metal chiptune section is hilarious, and i like how you cap it off with cutesy dnb/dubstep feels after - although the big distorted electroclash chords feel kinda messy in that section imo. the ending reminds me of one of the tracks from drukqs, it's really cute and poignant actually hehe

anyway, this is some really good work from you. although it's not quite as immediately engaging or memorable as your first round piece it's still a *banger* :v

garlagan responds:

fuk yea midi thanks for the amazing feedback!
drukqs is amazing btw!

Osman - "The Mountain And The Sky" Osman - "The Mountain And The Sky"

damn, i think i would've made something like this for this round if i didn't hate music right now :v

i think the drums are a little primitive in terms of their mixing - a little dry on the programming side too. the piano sound is a bit muddy, a bit like FL keys but a little better (still weighs the mix down a little imo). the sub bass is generally a little too savage (i.e. loud), especially in the middle breakdown section. i think the rest of the instruments could do with a bit more stereo imaging too (other than the reverb). overall the mix is fairly servicable, though.

where this shines is in the emotion and atmosphere, which i think is perfectly conveyed through the sound design and "orchestration" - the main melody is really lovely too. it's probably better that there isn't really that sharp of a contrast in that respect. certainly could be tightened up structurally as it doesn't quite earn its near-6 minute runtime, but i think carving out the breakdowns and buildups a bit more would definitely emphasize the emotional payoff of the drops.

anyway this resonated with me on both an aesthetic and emotional level, and not many things on NG do that for me!

Discord Server On Saturn Discord Server On Saturn

this is real cooooool, big shpongle vibes in that intro

i think overall this is too heavily mastered for what it wants to be (i.e. smooth illbient jams). i like that there's still a lot of dynamics in this but some of the synths are popping out too much imo (e.g. gated synth @0:53 once the filter opens up later, saw chords @ 2:31). also not really digging the acoustic drum sounds, and while they sit too low in the mix to have any real impact (not a gooooood thing imo) the actual sounds themselves don't really fit the vibe. especially that snare w/ the big round electro kick, it's kinda weird! something snappier with stronger transients would probably fit a bit better imo.

the mixing is mostly pretty good. apart from the aforementioned saw chord the latter section is really great - especially digging the flurrying little arps dancing in the background and the syncopated bells (*maybe* LP filter those before they hit the reverb because they come out a little bit hissy on the reverb tail). and i mean apart from the drums from 0:45 to 1:45 the sound design here is pretty damn sick!

i like how the piece takes you on a journey, seems to be a bit of a theme in your work haha
i think some stronger use of leitmotifs throughout would be good to give things a better thematic cohesiveness - the transitions are fairly smooth though so idk if this is just me wanting something that doesn't really need to be there? the sections do feel kinda disparate to me, though.

wowwwww i wrote a lot more about this than i thought i would. i think that means i like it! :v

1f1n1ty responds:

thanks for dropping by midi

i... don't master anything i make :P mostly cuz I don't know how

drum design is one of my weak spots, and i'm a freaking percussionist. i wish i actually knew crap about mixing good drum sounds but i generally don't which is why i end up using loops sometimes

i tried to make leitmotifs but a piece like this doesn't really support strong melodies whoops :P

Kids Kids

SPITFISH is a good free de-esser
this is a good free song
ggwp

McGorilla42 responds:

Thanks for that recommendation, midi! I decided to ask my parents to buy me the Waves Gold Bundle for my birthday while it was on special because I am an impoverished musician who can't afford his own plugins and it includes a de-esser! :)

gg no re

A Way Out A Way Out

i reaaaaally like this - the first half is kinda like QotSA meets NiN and then the lovely little breakdown makes way for some top-tier noise rock shenanigans. love all the little details in the background of the mix, and the little embellishments used in the transitions (the clap reverse at 2:13 is miiiiint).

i think the vocals sound really good and the distortion is used tastefully (i think slightly more brightness in the distortion tone might be good) - i kinda wanted to hear some variation in the EQ/processing for the vox on certain lines though, like the "oh i wanna help you" part feels kinda weird with just the main vocal settings y'know? everything else is suuuuuper heavy on the midrange and while you need a bit more than usual overall for this kinda sound it feels like every single instrument from the epiano to the has this real dark quality about it so it doesn't feel balanced, especially towards the end with those big epic snare rolls that get totally lost under the grime of the bass/guitar combo. maybe that's not really a fault and it's just a preference thing idk - it does feel like you set out with a very particular sound and nailed it exactly as intended.

goooood stuff!

Waxlimbs responds:

Thanks for the super detailed review! Taken into account for sure :)

Dust Sweeper Dust Sweeper

the drums are so boooomy and don't have enough dynamic variation
vocals are kinda dark and don't sit high enough in the mix imo
i really like the composition though - this could be a dream theater demo maybe? :v

LunacyEcho responds:

=> drums =>

Haha, johnfn said the same thing! Problem is, I'm using a Logic preset here, and I still haven't found a way to adjust the reverb (or other similar settings) on the drumset, but I'll be sure to keep looking.

=> vocals =>

Aw man, if you think the vocals would sound better if they were more high-pitched, do I have a remake of this song for you: https://instaud.io/15I7

=> composition =>

Ooh, Dream Theater was definitely one of the biggest influences of this track. Great to see it's reminiscent of them!

Thanks for the comment, midi, and good luck in the competition! :)