Lighthouse Lighthouse

lush af! love the bass pitchbends, actually everything is layered really nicely. i kept wanting this to develop into something more musical but it works well as a standalone soundscape piece.

one thing: the field recording is very noisy, not sure if this is because of sub-par hardware, a very quiet source or a very "blatant" dither. if it's because of normalising/compression then this is the kind of thing where recording at 24/48 is super useful! that said, the noise is worked into the rest of the textures once everything gets into gear. though it would be good to lowpass it and then automate the cutoff in and out in time with that spooky midrange pad; right now it's the only element of the soundscape that has no dynamic movement (which would be fine if it had a strong tonal center to base the track around)

anyway this is neat!

SierraRising responds:

I´ve been hoping to hear from you again, your reviews are always very detailed and useful! I would have liked for there to have been more variation, but I mainly wanted to try out an ambient atmosphere this time.
I have yet to learn about mixing my own recordings into tracks. I use a Tascam DR-05, and it´s fairly good, in my opinion, though I´m open to suggestions for possible upgrades in the future, if you have any. I have another similar ambient piece scheduled for tomorrow or the day after, so I´ll try using the cutoff technique you mentioned.
In the meantime, thank you very much for the review! Very helpful, as always!

Darkness source Darkness source

pls upload at a greater bitrate than 128kbps and make sure you render the entire song before uploading. the synth at 0:59 is super muddy and all the piano/pad stuff sounds distorted underneath it.

the high strings at 2:06 seem to come in out of nowhere because there's no precedent for them anywhere else in the track. also i dont know what feeling you are trying to express.

Pixel Demolition Pixel Demolition

ok let me elaborate on what tweedledum has mentioned below:

after about 10 seconds in there's a lot of different melody parts and riffs playing at the same time without many breaks and it goes for the whole song like that. that's difficult to listen to because our brains are dumb, and it also creates dissonance at certain parts because the riffs aren't designed with counterpoint or obligato in mind. individually, each of the parts are decent - why not spread them out across the track more and give the song some more definite structure? the part at 1:21 is really well done and sounds great cause there's one cool melody with a subtle counterpoint and simple arpeggios and it works! wish it was longer tho.

also the drums don't sound very good cause the synths are too loud so when everything hits the master limiter (or 0dB if ur a dum dum and don't have a master limiter) the attack of the kick and snare gets squished under all the crunchy synth stuff.

Edman520 responds:

Yea I noticed those things especially with the drums. Thanks for the feedback!

some psy trance some psy trance

needs more phasers

seriously tho that 303-alike synth is on point.

boners

how to make #1 on itunes how to make #1 on itunes

needs more lil jon

needs more cock

I am the greater audio portal I am the greater audio portal

no fart sample 0/10

I'm sorry

generic psy trance generic psy trance

dok dok dok dok dok dok dok dok

It's catchy

Sierra Rising - Mara Sierra Rising - Mara

hats are suuuuuper loud! i thought it was weird the way they sway at first but i ended up enjoying that a lot, though if they sat under the kick/snare instead of on top it'd be better. i don't think the piano reverb is an issue, actually it kinda blurs the notes out and makes them sit really nicely with the pad sound. the kick could do with some boosting, just to bring it a little bit below the snare (which is perfect btw).

the main thing with your melody is that you have very few repeated phrases at all within it, and since it's a really long melody it makes it hard to remember. you also use some strange voice leadings which clash with the underlying chords (e.g. 3m14s). my rule of thumb is if you can sing or hum it out loud it's probably a good melody. honestly if your melody and chord progression was half as long and you just repeated it twice it'd already improve things quite a lot!

overall your sound design is pretty interesting, and you've identified melodies as a weakness already. keep it up!

SierraRising responds:

I´ll be sure to lower the hats next time. Actually the high end in general could have probably been lower, come to think of it.
I never thought of singing or humming my melodies out, that´s really cool. The melody actually does repeat twice, and I probably should have left a bit more memorable repetition, it´s just that repetition has been a huge problem for me and I wanted to end that.

Thank you very much for the review, it means a lot to me!

Liquid piano 2000 Liquid piano 2000

this would sound 1000x times better if the piano was something like that old thin alice deejay 90s pulse lead and the kick was way louder and the water/bird noises were really soft (cause they sound kinda dumb, soz) w/ more reverb.

snare rushes without a crash or something to finish them off sound really weird. the last two notes on the pan flute are redundant cause your melody already resolves to the tonic and there's no chords underneath to give them context. but overall i actually quite like this cause i've been listening to (and making!) heaps of twee dance tunes lately.

UserSigon responds:

I thought about making it into a really dance track with saw pulse leads and stuff but I wanted to keep the original theme of the piano
The kick is intentionally softer, so you're kinda right this is not a dance song but at the same time it tries to be but fails hard; it's just a weird mix but I kinda like it

Gotcha on the snare rolls, thanks for the tip. It did sound weird, but couldn't figure out how to fix it. I think I understand what you mean for the last two notes (if you mean the real last two notes of the song); it's A) i should have added chords at the end or; B) i should have ended 2 notes before, since it was the tonic C# anyway

Cosmos traveler Cosmos traveler

lots of confusing rhythms for a trancey breakbeat thing. take fruity limiter off while you're mixing cause there are clearly some instruments that are too loud and end up taking precedence in the compressed mix. like it just sounds really messy compared to a more the sound design is ok but feels very preset, that string progression is not super interesting either. i do like that soft rolling piano sound and the rough bass. duck the bass synth under the kick so the low frequencies aren't slopping all other each other, though.

CrisTheGamer responds:

Thank you, I will take your advice and I will adjust the volume for my next song.