View Profile midimachine

24 Movie Reviews

this speaks to me on a deep emotional level

SD4L

SD4L

lol.

You got a 6/10 for being unoriginal from a fan of fucking _Madness_ of all things.

The people on this website are retarded.

Nice toon though.

11 Game Reviews

i tried to make something like this but with a sequencer a few years ago, the main problem i ran into was that there's way too much latency to be able to play properly. also doesn't always like to play the sound, especially if you want to trigger the same one in quick succession.

Ryuno074 responds:

About the latency, could you tell me what browser you are using? The people who tested it for me on Chrome, Firefox and Opera didn't experience it, so I'm curious as what could have happened and if there are workarounds.

>would be nice if the closed hat gated the open hat too. but latency would probably screw around with that too :v
I actually tested that feature earlier, but it didn't work for Chrome. The information Construct 2 sended as "stop Open Hat" was interpreted as "stop all sounds and don't play Closed hat either", so I had to remove it since Chrome is still a really big part of the "market". I'm still planning on having it for ports other than web, because it does sound much better and I don't think we'd find that incompatibility issue there.

i drew a dick

it was amazing

newgroundsy review

i gave this a 0 because there were no upgrades or achievements and there were no references to video game IPs or internet memes also when i was playing the first level my computer exploded you should fix that glitch!!!

257 Audio Reviews

yo, love the initial vibe. i think dropping back the reverb a bit when the beat comes in to bring the piano closer would've been nice, give the beat a more intimate feeling. i like the piano changeup at the halfway point but really not digging the big stadium dubstep drums. appreciate the attempt at an emotional crescendo w/ the filters opening up and the open hihats coming out, but it doesn't really stick the landing. the phasey crunchy drums would be good sound for a top loop over the initial kick/snare but don't really have the gravitas to carry such a big change in the overall feel.

structurally it kinda just starts and then goes and then fizzles out. the change halfway is cool but there's no real breathing space at any point. drop out to that second piano part on it's own for a bit, cut the bass out here and there. idk. on one hand the track doesn't really have a whole lot going on but on the other hand it has this really abrasive drum switch in the midpoint which could be cool but isn't effectively capitalised on. and i think i would prefer a simple idea really well realised to an ambitious gamble that doesn't quite pay off.

i will also say though that i do like the highpass filtery transitions - just needs some other element to really sell the tension and release between sections. the reverb fade on the drums at the end was also really nice. also the flutey synth line in the first half is very nice and it should make a more prominent return.

tl;dr - make the second half more like the first half but keep the cool synthwavey leads and pads, and add more small details in the arrangement and structure. it's most of the way there! thanks for doin' the nguac :)

hello! big fan of chiptune/8bit sounds and also magical8bitplugin

very authentic feel with the arrangement, absolutely dripping w/ mega man 2 influence. the multi-sampled drums are kinda disappointing though since they sit in this uncanny valley of being "too HQ" for this style of chip music and not realistic/well produced enough to elevate the track on it's own. m8bp is very good at creating chippy percussion, and some of the default fpc kits can sound incredible with detailed mixing and production. could even use famitracker to convert the 505 samples to DPCM and then import them back into fl studio for maximum authenticity (the toms would sound killer imo). but idk, the raw 505 samples ain't it for me.

as far as the instruments go, the sound design is very basic even by 2A03 standards. m8bp can't alter duty cycle midway through a note but there's still stuff you can do with pitch bends and octave switching. hell you can automate the duty cycle anyway and then add more notes in when you want it to change. or use a different VST like triforce or medusa2 when you want to do PWM style leads. imagine the sunsoft DPCM bass on this track, that would be awesome. for sure a subjective point here, but i reckon in the modern age without file size and cpu limitations it's a waste to not delve into everything a sound chip is theoretically capable of.

to clarify: i'm absolutely by no means a chip music purist. authenticity can be writing in a dedicated tracker, emulating the soundset and its limitations in your modern DAW, or going balls deep in MML/ASM programming. but with a DAW once you make too many decisions that compromise the authenticity, you should probably forget about purity and make something modern and start leaning into the chip sound less overall. it'd still be chip music even if it sounded modern imo.

so aside from the chip music philosophy, i had trouble distinguishing any main theme after the cool melody at the start breaks into arpeggios - the fuguey boops are great in solos and in high energy parts but for me i need to hear it breakway into a more "singable" kind of hook. there's always a lot going on at the same volume so i don't get a sense for where the melodies are supposed to sit within those sequences. also the length is perfect when you need to fit a song into 4KB of ram, but i feel like you could've either conveyed more in the same time or expanded upon the idea in a 2nd loop.

i like the flow and progression though. a lot of the individual instruments and melody lines are cool and the transitions are actually very good. couldn't really get into it musically or stylistically though, and it's also quite short.

thanks for doing NGUAC!