Be a Supporter!

midimachinemidimachine

Main News Movies Audio Favorites Reviews Stats 307 Fans

Anaconda Anaconda

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars July 4, 2013

oh man, this is a mixed bag!
liking the elements of ragga and liquid in the intro, and then that big reese and spooky lead that comes out... i was thinking "hey maybe a highpass sweep would be cool here" and then you delivered haha
this next bass is fat as fuck, nice one. amens are nice and clear but could maybe use some... zazz? not necessarily slicing but some filter movement or something like the highpass treatment it gets at 3:20-ish
i feel like this is 3 shorter tracks mixed together, but i like the way you tie everything together at the end. there's lots of energy without it being cliche swire-esque shit. kick could use some more click though, imo. opinions and shit, man!
refreshing listen!

Sequenced responds:

yeh not a big fan of the kick after a few days of not listening to it.

about that high pass sweep... we might have the same brain o.O

Your Mudkip Has Evolved Your Mudkip Has Evolved

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars July 1, 2013

not even chipstep you silly sod! <3

Quarl responds:

I kind of hate chip tune music.

Fly With Me Fly With Me

Rated 4 / 5 stars June 30, 2013

guy below me might've been trolling, but i think he was on to something. this does kinda feel like canned uplifting music to me, i think mainly because once it starts there's no real dynamic variation or development. the volume is just too consistent across the entire piece, it needs more little dips and peaks and varied articulartion (perhaps to emulate the energy of flight?), at the moment all the notes kinda blur into one another.

those instruments are nice but sound very "sampled", although i like that you wrote this in a tracker! i also like that you've set out with a clear goal for the composition of the piece and achieved it, it's very focused in its delivery.

Wurfel-Waffles responds:

Thank you for the extremely detailed and honest review. The some of the instruments were sampled. And I never this was the first time I use VSTi with ModPlug. Thanks again.

Symphony No.1 Movement 1 Symphony No.1 Movement 1

Rated 2 / 5 stars June 29, 2013

it's a bit generic, innit?
i mean it's more like a pop song with orchestral instruments that a symphony.
okay so it gets a lot better at the halfway point but these RSE instruments are a joke really.
the metal rhythms sound silly imo, totally undermine the tension you start to build up in the middle. sounds like a MIDI rip of early dream theater at the end (take that as a compliment!).

generally the song just lacks direction. it's equal parts coldplay b-side, dramatic orchestral music and wacky prog metal, and it would probably be a lot more palatable if it was completely one or the other.
i probably wouldn't ever listen to something like this ever again

Felix Feels Funky Felix Feels Funky

Rated 3 / 5 stars June 23, 2013

holy reverb batman. there's nowhere near enough space in the mix for a reverb that big most of the time. it'd be cool if you automated the reverb decay to be shorter in the more busy sections, would make the busy parts feel tighter and the sparse parts more spacious.

the filtered breakbeats are cool, reminds me of the ratchet and clank soundtracks.

were you saying "9-bit" to be funny or something? :v

Gario responds:

9-bit is another name for fakebit, or emulated chiptune with other elements in it. Tends to be what I write in, most of the time.

Thanks for the review - those with advice tend to be the best. :)

Spiralomorph Spiralomorph

Rated 2.5 / 5 stars June 21, 2013

funky noises! could definitely transition into some crazy acid tech stuff
the low part at 0:47 is my favourite, reminds me of london physics club by little-scale

i get that "it's meant to be weird" but it doesn't mean that you can't try throwing some drums or other instruments over this, even if it was just little 606/808 percs or something. would definitely open some doors to further development and experimentation.

Blacklawn responds:

Thanks. The funny thing is: it originally had drums. Someone said they sounded "horrid" and that the track would be much better without them, so I took them out. I'll try to remake the drums, then.

Monochromaticity Monochromaticity

Rated 4 / 5 stars June 20, 2013

i think this was one of my favourites in the thingy that you made this for. it could certainly benefit from a busier arrangement (maybe just a couple extra strings/woodwinds?), but i like how cold everything sounds... makes the few bright parts really stand out.

alternativesolution responds:

Great! :D I'm really glad you like it. It does sound cold, doesn't it? I find its emptiness somewhat despairing, but close to nonchalant, as well. It's weird. I actually added the piano much later, and I'm glad I did... Thanks so much for the feedback!

Anthem (wip) Anthem (wip)

Rated 4 / 5 stars June 20, 2013

classic trance sound! intro is probably a touch long, would probably work better as a second buildup imo. can't really fault the mix much, a bit more definition in the bassline once the kick drops in would probably give the track more energy. melody isn't super inspired yet, but it's a wip and all that.

TerraNation responds:

intro isent complete yet :) i still fighting with kick EQ, bass freq, melody progress.

Northwing Fury I (Edit) Northwing Fury I (Edit)

Rated 2 / 5 stars June 19, 2013

dem amens, jeez. i think you should listen to more classic dnb and also some jungle and breakcore and get a better understanding of the genre. the way you introduce each section is really awkward and it tears apart all the energy you might've been building up (not a good thing when you do it constantly in a 2 minute song)

there are some brief moments of clarity and cohesiveness but overall this is tired vgm music with weak drums and bland sound design.

Chemicals [NGADM] Chemicals [NGADM]

Rated 5 / 5 stars August 15, 2012

fresh as, man
really lush mix! sounds like between the buried and me having an orgy with the mars volta or something haha... maybe needs more understated reverb and less compressed-sounding drums - they're still really nice and dynamic though so maybe its not the compression that's bugging me... i think the snares just kinda SLAP too much for my liking. the kicks definitely need more light and shade, bit less click in the soft parts, nahmeen? anyway those are my only gripes, this is properly fantastic and i wish you the best of luck in the competition!

Kor-Rune responds:

Thanks for the review! Yeah, I was pretty unsatisfied with the kick sound for the soft parts, and that I didn't take the time to nudge some of the key hits off time to humanize it up a little bit. I think you're right about the snare sound too, it's stiff and not as loose. I like my ghost notes to be wishy washy.

Also yeah, the compression doesn't work great with the robotic perfect timing drum hands, but deadlines and mixing, lol. Luckily I can still move it around to my liking, recording real drums has to be a -bitch-.

Thanks again for the review and constructive thoughts! It helps a lot man.