Support NATA 2014

Main News Movies Audio Favorites Reviews Stats 293 Fans

HOT Fiery Anger HOT Fiery Anger

Rated 4 / 5 stars May 27, 2009

yeah

the snare is a bit ugly sounding. maybe use a sample of a shallower snare with less gated reverb?

otherwise it's pretty bitchin'

woulda liked to hear more squeals and wailing solo action. ohhhhh well.

Solus- Sunset Solus- Sunset

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars May 27, 2009

awwwww isn't that nice

needs a lot more of those dynamic and timing offsets i keep telling people to put in...

but then the pads come in and it doesn't seem as inhuman for some reason. the chord progression is just darling.

still... the intro seems really stiff. even the sustain pedal keeps releasing at the exact same time each bar, haha.

really nice composition and arrangement. simplicity is the bomb.

SolusLunes responds:

I really need to get back into tweaking each individual note...

AD - Pure Energy AD - Pure Energy

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars May 27, 2009

hot

The sort of breakbeat based industrial I try to make, except this is a lot less orchestral and more atonal broodey stuff...

The excessive bitcrushing gives this a bit of generic "hey guys i'm using a bitcrusher" feel. Okay, that doesn't really make a lot of sense but if you're using ephonic lo-fi you could try pitchshifting and dirty-ing the signal after the crushing to make it sound a bit more unique in the tonality. Or just keep it straight crushed at the start and then do stuff to it when it gets used afterwards...

A little hypocritical of me seeing as I love me some generic daft punk style bitcrushed synth basses.

I love the power in the beat. The deep kicks are great, sounds like you have some peak based synth layered under them making them nice and gritty too. I dig this.

P.S. The people being all "oh my god it's industrial not hip hop" probably haven't heard Saul Williams, awesome rapper with dirty industrial beats produced by flippin' Trent Reznor of all people. Reznor's collaborated with flippin' Dr Dre too guys, it's not a sin to make "industrial hip hop". Open your ears a bit.

AeraDynamic responds:

Finally someone who understands me :333 I heart you, thanks for the bitcrushing advice, I'll give it a try next time I am doing this sort of HipHop / Industrial Sound. I know what you mean with its getting generic... I have to get some new Ideas for using bitcrushing and EQing it. And thank you for telling me about Reznor, I got to check that out asap :O

Bloodline Bloodline

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars April 28, 2009

lovely :)

Not much to add. My thoughts have already been expressed :)

I think if you were to add vocals it'd be difficult to do since all you have is the wav file (hopefully unmastered) to track on top of. It might be easier to not bother.

In any case, thanks for sharing this with us! :D

I'm Gonna Kill Santa Claus I'm Gonna Kill Santa Claus

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars April 17, 2009

very slick

This is dying for a lead guitar lick somewhere and a real drummer!

I thought the vocals were definitely the best part. Very nice early Blink/general early 90's punk tone. Love the harmonies, the timing could've been tighter on the double tracking but you still did really well.

Good stuff, good job on AP #1 :)

giftedbuttwisted responds:

Thanks!

The Nintendo Concerto (Part 1) The Nintendo Concerto (Part 1)

Rated 2.5 / 5 stars April 15, 2009

very meh.

Honestly it sounds like you slapped the scores from some MIDI files together and changed all the instruments to piano. It's definitely not been arranged properly for piano, some parts are flat out impossible to play on one piano in one performance. Maybe you transcribed this stuff yourself but it doesn't really sound like you did.

The song list is well thought out, I'll give you that much.

darphfluffy responds:

this was just the beginning. this is how i learned

&amp;lt;Zanarkand&amp;gt; <Zanarkand>

Rated 2.5 / 5 stars April 11, 2009

So... what's new?

It sounds as though you just added some spatial effects to a midi file you found on the internet and sped it up a bit. It's been done. To be fair, I think you have something going with the omitted right hand in the beginning. Having said that, it could only ever reach its potential in an original arrangement. On the GM piano it sounds so dull and lifeless. The reverb doesn't really do much for me (too wet imo). You should definitely automate sustain controls and maybe tempo fluctuations. Also try to offset the timing of some notes by a very small amount to make it sound more natural, espescially in chords.

After about 1m30s I don't really feel like I need to listen to it any further because I know already how it's going to pan out. If you do more VG tune covers in the future (and I think you should to get more practice) you should arrange them differently to give them your own personal touch and to keep the listener on their toes.

Keep it up.

Champius responds:

well,

thanks for your in depth review its appreciated!

and yes the omitted left hand i thought would fit better than the intro that the other 100 versions of this start with,

i see what you mean by dull and lifeless but, i sort of wanted that feel.......i tried making the song itself be as if it were background music in a temple in the game.....if you know what i mean....

i did also add quite a few of my own touches to the song, many of them after 1:30

as for everything else, i'd say that's more of a preference issue....

Anyways....

thanks for the review : ]

WS - It's Only Fair WS - It's Only Fair

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars April 10, 2009

v v v nice

I love the Binary Star meets Portishead meets Cat Empire vibe. My main concern is that the beat feels unnatural on account of the skip which seems to not swing enough and the fact that the kick sound doesn't vary at all in that skip really. If this is part of a breakbeat maybe use the normal rhythm and if it's a bunch single hit samples arranged with some very smart processing then use another very similar kick in the second skip to give it more character and also offset the timing a fraction more behind the beat.

Awesome work! :)

Winter's Debilitating Grip Winter's Debilitating Grip

Rated 5 / 5 stars April 4, 2009

Sexcellent!

I love the feel and how it decays into glitchy stuttering. The 909 ride groove is hot.

The progression is hot, gorgeous chords on a gorgeous synth pad.

I would've liked more distortion on the percs to give them a nastier edge but then I guess the glitching does that. It's sensible, well thought out glitching not that "let dblue's randomizer do all the work for me" glitching.

Loved this from start to finish. Great work!

Solus- Hardly Known, Yet Loved Solus- Hardly Known, Yet Loved

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars April 3, 2009

very nice

Gorgeous progression. I can rarely do sentimental and contemplative stuff anywhere near this good.

I do think you should sequence some very slight timing offsets on certain notes in chords to get rid of that ugly peakey attack when several notes play at the exact same time. They'll also sound way more natural if you offset them in certain ways. You probably already knew this but 'tever, just throwin' it out there.

Well done, as usual :)

SolusLunes responds:

You are exactly right. Normally I do exactly that.

Completely slipped my mind this time. :p

Goddamn I can be retarded sometimes.